Clinical Biochemistry Laboratory at King's College Hospital
We are a UKAS accredited medical laboratory no.9067 providing a high quality, comprehensive range of routine diagnostic and specialist biochemical testing in a newly refurbished state of the art laboratory.
We perform about 4 million tests per year for the hospital and surrounding community; 80% are of a routine diagnostic nature and 20% of a highly complex and specialised nature.
- We undertake testing for applied and contracted biomedical research.
- We are a centre for training in metabolic medicine for medical graduates and for all grades of laboratory staff and have developed a comprehensive training schedule including mentoring and e-learning facilities.
- We provide a comprehensive pre- and post-investigation consultation and interpretation of results for hospital medical staff and general practitioners.
- A large automated section of the laboratory is dedicated to performing routine diagnostic tests. We have recently further increased our capacity and efficiency levels for such routine testing, with the opening of our newly completed, state-of-the-art Blood Sciences Laboratory.
- We have a strong emphasis on NHS research and development, which under the lead of Professor Roy Sherwood, consultant clinical scientist, evaluates new assays and offers contract research.
- We have an established track record of supporting clinical and research trials for institutions from both the public and private sector. We are currently involved with major global pharmaceutical companies and research institutions in collaborative projects.
- Teaching and training of staff is of high importance and several staff have undertaken research projects for Royal College accreditation, MSc and PhD levels and we support laboratory based projects for undergraduates and post-graduate students as well as visiting students from overseas.