Red Cell Laboratory at Guy's and St Thomas' Hospital
The red cell laboratory at Guy's Hospital is lead by Dr. Yvonne Daniel and her team of senior biomedical scientists. The unit also has dedicated consultants Dr Jo Howard and Dr Buba Inusa as well as being in reporting networks with the SE London Sickle Cell and Thalassaemia Centre. Blood sciences is a UKAS accredited medical laboratory (No.8710), accredited to ISO15189:2012 for the tests listed in the schedule of accreditation on the UKAS website (http://www.ukas.com/browse-accredited-organisations/?org_type=7).
The initial screen for thalassaemias and haemoglobin variants is performed by three HPLC analysers, running a 24/7 service with rapid turnaround time. Confirmatory testing is performed by mass spectrometry-mass spectrometry and molecular based techniques. We also offer the highly specialised Oxygen Dissociation Curve (P50) assay.
The unit provides screening for antenatal sickle cell and thalassaemia as well as pre-operative screening, an HbS% service to known transfused sickle cell anaemia patients and comprehensive diagnostic service.
Our specialist tests include:
- Haemoglobinopathy screening by HPLC
- Molecular confirmation of alpha and beta thalassaemias
- Molecular confirmation of HPFH and delta beta thalassaemia
- Mass Spectrometry for confirmation of Hb variants
- Oxygen dissociation curve
- G6PD analysis
- supravital staining for HbH and Heinz bodies
- Unstable haemoglobin analysis