SE-HMDS Cytogenetics Laboratory at King's College Hospital
Viapath’s Cytogenetics Laboratory is one of the largest specialist haematological malignancy testing laboratories in the UK, and provides a fully comprehensive service that includes both karyotype analysis and fluorescence in-situ hybridisation (FISH) assays for neoplastic disorders.
Fully interpreted karyotype and FISH reports are provided, detailing relevant diagnostic, prognostic and treatment implications of findings.
The laboratory is UKAS accredited medical laboratory to ISO 15189:2012 (UKAS Reference No. 9092) and participates in all appropriate EQA schemes (GenQA). A robust internal auditing system is also in operation to ensure quality of analysis, interpretation and reporting.
- Comprehensive reflex testing based on morphological and immunophenotypic findings, ensuring clinically relevant and informative cytogenetic investigations are performed.
- Extensive analysis of acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) including karyotype analysis and FISH for detection of cryptic gene rearrangement. Full FISH panel for karyotype failures to identify prognostic markers. Rapid detection of PML-RARA or variant fusion in APL by FISH.
- Full cytogenetic analysis of myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) and myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN), including rapid detection of BCR-ABL1 by FISH for CML, and broad eosinophilia FISH panel for detection of clinically actionable gene fusions. Single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) array high resolution whole genome analysis (performed in Molecular Haemato-Oncology laboratory) for low risk MDS.
- Automated cell sorting of plasma cells for Multiple Myeloma, with FISH analysis to detect prognostically-relevant abnormalities.
- Karyotype and comprehensive FISH panel for analysis of acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL) including ABL-class fusion detection.
- TP53 deletion by FISH, SNP array and TP53 mutation (performed in Molecular Haemato-Oncology laboratory) detection in CLL.